Friday, September 23, 2011

1991 chevy s10. I just changed my serpentine belt. I have a loud squeaking.?

The belt is on correctly, the tensioner seems to be fine.



I bought an idler pulley but decided not to install it. My old belt broke after 15k miles. So something is wrong. Should I go ahead and change the idler pully?



And what is causing this loud squeak? I know its normally because the belt is slipping, but the automatic tensioner shoul take care of the slipping? any suggestions? Thank you
1991 chevy s10. I just changed my serpentine belt. I have a loud squeaking.?
Go over each and every pully, and apply lithium grease at the connection points to the motor. My 98' blazer had a simular problem. It ended up being the alternator seizing up on me. Check your fan also! Lube the snot out of your cooling fan! And, yes, as a preventative, you should go ahead and change out your idler pullies. Oh, and it couldn't hurt to condition your belt every 3K miles, especially if you live in the cold!