Thursday, October 6, 2011

Can't get enough slack to replace the serpentine belt on my '94 Ram 1500. Please help?

My boyfriend and I love working on my truck. This old V8 looks and sounds like its brand new because I treat it as I would treat a ferarri. That is why its so depressing and embarrassing that I have not been able to change the serpentine belt.



I loosen the tensioner as far as it will go, while my BF pulls as hard as he can to mount it to the smooth %26quot;wheel%26quot; above the water pump. We are just mere centimeters from getting it, but the belt simply will not give any more. I double-checked the print on the belt to make sure I have the right size, and it says it is.



Does anyone have any tips for installing it? I have tried to unbolt the smooth %26quot;wheel%26quot; and put the belt on that way, and try to re-bolt the wheel, but I still have not had much luck that way, other than mildly stripping the threads of the bolt.
Can't get enough slack to replace the serpentine belt on my '94 Ram 1500. Please help?
If this is the correct diagram for your truck;

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/鈥?/a>

try routing the belt over everything but the Alternator, then slip it over that while the tensioner is held. Like most vehicles, this is the smallest pulley, and that usually works best. Most brand new belts have very little %26quot;extra%26quot; slack.
Can't get enough slack to replace the serpentine belt on my '94 Ram 1500. Please help?
If it is really and truly the right belt try a SMALL amount of Vaseline on the water pump pulley make sure the belt is siting right on all the other pulleys first. You can also have one person try to put the belt on while the other turns the engine BY HAND.
Take it to a real auto tech and problem solved.
Double check your routing. If it's the right belt it should go one with no problem.
check the routing or wrong belt could possibly need tensionor they like to rust