Thursday, October 6, 2011

When I start my car there is a belt that screeches. Is this the timing belt or the serpentine belt?

I believe I have never changed either of these belts and my car has about 155,000 miles on it. Or is this something I should just take to a mechanic to check out. I'm asking this first, because I see a bunch of coupons in the newspaper, for the timing belt change. But my friend stated to get everything done(timing belt, serpentine belt, %26amp; water pump), while the mechanic is around that area anyways. But I don't have that much money to spend on fixing it.
When I start my car there is a belt that screeches. Is this the timing belt or the serpentine belt?
it's the serpentine belt ...if it were the timing belt it wouldn't start
When I start my car there is a belt that screeches. Is this the timing belt or the serpentine belt?
Serpentine belt



If it were the timing belt your engine would not be in time and would not run at all.



You are on borrowed time with your timing belt. It should be changed. If you have an interference style engine, if the belt fails your valves will crash into your pistions. This can completely destroy your engine.



When replacing your timing belt, it is a good idea to have the serpentine belt and water pump replaced as these items are already being removed to access the timing belt. So it should not cost any more in labor.



Get some estimates from a few mechanics.
Well, you were due for a timing belt change(80,000). It does not screech (It snaps) then it is a motor job%26gt;couple thousand bucks%26lt; Just to save a couple of bucks - you will lose the car.%26gt;it becomes worthless%26lt;.

You pay alot for mechanic's time, so while he is in the same area as all the parts, do them all in one shot. Saves you coming back again. Don't buy groceries for a week. That should cover it. Get an estimate first. The mechanic knows how long it will take him and he will also know the cost of the parts and roughly how long it will take him to do the job.
It could be, or possibly fan / a/c belt?



I had a simlar problem on my car, especially in cold weather, after I got the belts replaced the screeching stopped.



If you're getting all of those replaced at the same time you're probably looking at $500+ for parts/labor.
pulley's screech and squeak not belts. $100 says its an idler pulley, start the car up with someone under the hood to locate the sound. Also touch the pulleys (with the engine off) and see if any are loose. You should also replace your belt just because 155k is a long time on a belt. Good Luck!
i think you should look at the serpentine belt for cracks or excessive wear if you see that then you should change your serpentine belt and the timing belt im not real sure about that, the water pump usually has a long working period and i wouldnt worry about it if there is no leaks.
its more likely to be the water pump/alternator belt give it a squirt of WD 40 and see if it cures the noise