Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What is this whistling sound coming from under the hood?

Hello, I have a 1999 Camaro, and when I start it up in the morning, there seems to be this sound coming from under the hood. It sounds like someone wheeling a wheel barrel around, that kind of screeching/whistling sound.



It cant be the belt, because i just changed the serpentine belt. After I drive around for like 5 minutes it goes away. If i start the car the same day, it doesn't happen again.
What is this whistling sound coming from under the hood?
Does this car have A/C? The reason I ask is because my son had the same issue with his 97 Cutlass. Turned out to be the a/c clutch. The compressor was old and we didn't really use the a/c in NY so it rusted and expanded so the clutch was touching the plate..hence the noise. Your problem (if I understand the noise description) must be along these lines. Check pulleys and your belt tensioner too. Hope this helps
What is this whistling sound coming from under the hood?
I had the same thing happen on '97 Malibu/GM. Replaced the belt that wore out.Then the sound started in a few weeks. It turned out to be the water pump. Supposed to be a simple repair but took me all day. I got the pump for $32 at O'Riley's..at least saved some money.



It seems that when a belt is replaced, it can put extra stress on the water pump.