Thursday, October 6, 2011

PLEASE HELP!!! My car is squealing after I replaced my serpentine belt. Did my mechanic break something?

I went in for an oil change and the workers said I needed a new serpentine belt. They replaced it, but now my car is squealing. My car has never made this sound before! They said it was common and I needed a new tensioner (?). Did they break it or is this common to happen after getting the belt replaced? Thanks so much!!!
PLEASE HELP!!! My car is squealing after I replaced my serpentine belt. Did my mechanic break something?
They probably had an oil transfer from their oily hands to the belt. It's a common problem with dirty, sloppy mechanics. Take it back and tell them to clean all of the pulleys of oil and repalce the belt. It is not the tensioner and it is not common if the mechanic is relatively clean. They don't want to admit that they were sloppy but they'll sure sell you a tensioner to make more money from you. You may even be able to buy a spray cleaner specifically made for this type of problem.
PLEASE HELP!!! My car is squealing after I replaced my serpentine belt. Did my mechanic break something?
Probably just needs to be adjusted.
They broke somthin, squealing like that is really uncommon. (Some questions) Did it start squealing after the change, if so... Yea, they broke somthing, Most of the time they wont admit a mistake Consult another mechacian and tell him your problem
it may be because its cold. some cars have adjustable idler pulleys. you can try to adjust it a little to take up the slack.
Dan B is correct. Mechanics are notorious for trying to pull a fast one on the unsuspecting customer. They either broke something or put the wrong belt on. If it wasn't squealing until after they touched it, it's their fault.
maybe oil got in to the belt when they changed it..



buy a belt dressing, it sometimes helps.

get it at autozone or some local auto part store you got there