Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How do I change the thermal flasher for my turn signal in my '91 Chevy Lumina?

I refuse to take it in. People here gouge you like crazy, and I've heard changing the flasher is one of the easiest things you can do. I've changed my own serpentine belt and I regularly change the oil in my car, I think I can handle this. I bought the part, now I just need to know where the stupid thing is located so I can replace it.
How do I change the thermal flasher for my turn signal in my '91 Chevy Lumina?
Simple find the flasher assymbly. It is usually under the drivers side of the dash. Usually by the fuse panel. Typically it is a silver metal cylinder with 2 prongs or a yello plastic cylinder with two prongs. unplug it and match it with the replacement flasher then plug it in.

It works very simple when voltage is put to the flasher the thin inside metal thermal connects the circuit .when the thermal strip gets hot it bends breaking the conection. When it cools. likly quickly in .2 to .9 seconds in most flashers .The thermal metal strip bends back closing the loop and flashing the turn light again .

Flashers go out fairly often depending on how much they are used .Remember though that also the turn signal lamps can go burn out. So if you replace the flasher and there is still a problem then look at the flasher lights themselves front and rear for each side. If they are fine and there is still a problem then look at the signal switch itself on the steering column.
How do I change the thermal flasher for my turn signal in my '91 Chevy Lumina?
Go get yourself a repair manual for your car if you plan to do more work on your car by yourself. It's a real time saver. I got 1 for each of my 5 cars. The manual should be around 20 bucks.
Its on left side behind emergency brake pedal. Good luck very easy fix for do it yourself person.